Resources you will need
- Lesson 5 Persuasive Writing PowerPoint slides
- Persuasive Writing Prompts (1 per student)
- Dolphins in Captivity Fact Sheet (1 per student)
- Legal Personhood for Animals Fact Sheet (1 per student)
- Broiler Chicken Welfare Fact Sheet (1 per student)
- Provide copies of the three factsheets to each student.
- Put up on the screen the Lesson 5 Persuasive Writing PowerPoint slides. These slides contain the stimulus options.
- Distribute the Persuasive Writing Prompts.
- Ask them to use the information in the fact sheets to create a persuasive response either for or against the following statements in the Persuasive Writing Prompts:
- Non-human animals should count as ‘persons’ under the law, not just as ‘things’.
- It is acceptable to keep dolphins in captivity for the purpose of educating and entertaining people.
- Housing chickens permanently indoors is not acceptable.
- Exporting animals on long distance journeys, by ship (such as live export) or other modes of transport, should be banned.
- If animals can't talk, we don't have an obligation to listen.
- Factory farming is cruel to animals.
They may find it useful to consult further resources (including videos) for each topic